m2 unit 1 练习
1. 无法解释的传说，未解之谜 tales of the unexplained
2. 充满神秘 full of mysteries
3. 先进的科技 advanced science and technology
4. 偶遇 run into/come across/meet by chance
5. 相信未解之谜 believe in unexplained things
6. 某天(将来的) some day
7. 做某事的理由 reason for doing sth
8. 提前 in advance
9. 加紧，促进 step up
10. 寻找某人 search for sb
11. 失踪 go missing
12. 对……表现出极大的兴趣 show (a) great interest in
13. 由于 due to/because of
14. 看见/目睹令人迷惑的光亮 sightings of puzzling lights
15. 因为头疼 because of a headache共15页，当前第1页123456789101112131415
16. 回家很晚 stay out late
17. 出现；显露 show up
18. 径直走到 go straight to
19. 播放音乐 put on music
20. 根据，依据 according to
21. 拉开窗帘 pull back the curtains
22. 感到害怕 feel/be frightened
23. 排除可能性 rule out the possibility
24. 负责这个案件 take charge of the case
25. 令人信服的证据 convincing evidence
26. 调查 look into
27. 放弃 give up
28. 取得巨大进步 make much /great progress
29. 对……感到失望 be disappointed with
30. 在某人身上做研究 do research on 共15页，当前第2页123456789101112131415
31. …..发生在某人身上 happen to sb
32. 失踪的男孩 a missing boy
33. 准备睡觉 be ready for bed
34. 做…..噩梦 have nightmares about
35. 带走 take away
36. 编故事 make up a story
37. 做报告 make a speech
38. 外太空 outer space
39. 以/从……开始 begin/start with
40. 以……为结束 close with/end up with
41. 发射到太空 lauch into space
42. 没有生命的证据 no evidence of life
43. 目前 so far
44. 梦想；向往；渴望 dream of 共15页，当前第3页123456789101112131415
45. 实行；执行；进行；完成；实现 carry out
46. 实现 come true
47. 分离出来 separate from
48. 接收，拾起，学会 pick sth.up；
49. 抱起，搭载某人 pick sb.up
50. 太空行走 take a space walk (take a walk in space )
51. 在外太空 in outer space
52. 脱下，起飞，休假 take off
53. 保护免受…… protect sth. from
54. 提供 provide sth.
55. 人类 human being
56. 作为交换 作为回报 .in return
57. 一个类人的野生动物 a wild man-like creature
58. 据说…… it is said that……共15页，当前第4页123456789101112131415
59. 从山水上下来 come down from the mountains
60. 袭击村民 attack villagers
61. 一名美国登山者 an american mountain climber
62. 在中国边界上 on the chinese side
63. 追赶 run after
64. 以惊人的速度和气力 at/ with amazing speed and strength
65. 平均 on average
66. 14到18英尺长/宽 14 to 18 inches long/wide
67. 开玩笑 play a joke
68. 往前……,艰难前进 make one’s way to
69. 继续活下去 live on
70. 亲眼看到 see……with one’s own eyes
71. 支持野人存在的实证 hard evidence supporting the existence of yeti
确信，相信 be/ become convinced共15页，当前第5页123456789101112131415
1. ── we not only respect our teachers, but also ________ them.
── i don’t ________ what you said.
a. believe in; believe in b. believe; believe
c. believe in; believe d. believe; believe in
2. he hasn’t ________ yet. what happened ________ him?
a. disappeared; to b. showed up; to c. come; for d. appeared; for
3. i didn’t see her in the meeting room. she ________ at the meeting.
a. mustn’t have spoken b. shouldn’t have spoken
c. needn’t have spoken d . couldn’t have spoken
4. ── who told you about dad’s illness?
── the doctor in ________.
a. connection b. turn c. public d. charge
5. many people are still ________ all over the world.
a. gone hungry b. going hunger c. going hungry d. gone hunger
6. the play is going to ________ again tomorrow evening.
a . produce on b. be put on c. put on d. produce
7. the secretary worked late into the night, ________ a long speech for the president.
a. to prepare b. preparing c. prepared d. was preparing
8. the ________ look on her face suggested that she ________ it.
a. puzzling; hadn’t expected b. puzzled; hadn’t expected
c. puzzling; wouldn’t expect d. puzzled; shouldn’t expect
9. the case of his death is being ________ and will be found out before long.
a. looked up b. looked for c. looked into d. looked on
10. was it at the school ________ was named after a hero ________ he spent his childhood?
a. which; that b. where; where c. that; where d. which; where
11. when i return to the classroom, i found my pen ________.
a. going b. losing c. missing d.missed
12. ________, the population of china is the largest in the world. 共15页，当前第6页123456789101112131415
a. it is known that b. as is well known
c. which is well known d. we all know
13. they went out ________ water.
a. in search of b. in a search of c. in search d. search for
14. he must have ________ the funny story. i can’t believe that it’s true.
a. picked up b. turned up c. done up d. made up
15. what he has done is really ________. now his parents are ________ him.
a. disappointing; disappointed at b. disappointing; disappointed about
c. disappointing; disappointed with d. disappointed; disappointed by
16. ── how long has the bookstore been in business?
── ________ 1932.
a. after b. in c. from d. since
17. enough sleep can make us ________ energy and make it possible for us to perform well in the exam.
a. filled of b. full of c. fill with d. full with
18. as we join the big crowd, i got ________ from my friends.
a. separated b. lost c. divided d. missed
19. don’t ________ him just because he hasn’t been as successful as you.
a. look on b. look down on c. look up d. look up to
20. justin ________ with mary for more than one year.
a. has been in love b. had been in love
c. fell in love d. has fallen in love
21. i haven’t seen mary these past few days. i’m afraid she ________ herself for some time.
a. hasn’t been feeling b. hadn’t been feeling
c. isn’t feeling d. wasn’t feeling
22. you ________ things about. look, what a mess in your room.
a. always throw b. have always thrown
c. are always throwing d. have always being throwing共15页，当前第7页123456789101112131415
23. ── the former president was caught at last.
── really? where ________ himself?
a. had he hidden b. has he hidden
c. was he hidden d. has he been hiding
24. ── the possibility of a flood was just over the radio.
── i know. i heard about it. the river ________ the top of its bank.
a. has reached b. reaching c. had been reached d. had reached
25. ── hi, joan, i haven’t seen you for weeks. what ________ recently?
── carrying on some re reach on wildlife.
a. have you been doing b. have you done
c. were you doing d. did you do
26. ── how are you today?
── oh, i ________ as ill as i do now for a very long life .
a. didn’t feel b. wasn’t feeling c. don’t feel d. haven’t felt
27. the surface of the table ________ smooth enough.
a. isn’t felt b. isn’t feeling c. doesn’t feel d. hasn’t felt
28. ── do you know our town?
── no, this is the first time i ________ here.
a. was b. have been c. came d. am coming
29. ── has tom finished his composition yet?
── i have no idea; he ________ it this morning.
a. wrote b. had written c. has written d. was writing
30. now that you ________ from abroad, what are you going to do?
a. have returned b. are returning c. return d. returned
i shall never forget the day __31__ the earthquake took place. the time was 5:15 __32__ and i was driving along the road __33__ my daughter from school. our plan __34__ swimming together. __35__ had finished work at about 4 o’clock and then __36__ to the post office. then i’d stopped off __37__ in order to get some __38__ fruit, we like to have some fruit to eat after our __39__.
i was driving __40__ a high road on my way to the school. over my road was __41__ road for cars __42__ the other way. i was hungry __43__ i put the bag of apples on the seat beside me and started to eat __44__.
suddenly i saw the cars __45__ me start to move from side to side. i slowed down. then my car started to shake! i didn’t know __46__. perhaps __47__ had gone wrong with my car. i drove __48__.then the road __49__ started to fall down. i stopped the car and at the same moment __50__ fell onto the cars in front of me.共15页，当前第8页123456789101112131415
31. a. in which b. when c. which d. where
32. a. in the afternoon b. on the afternoon
c. in the morning d. on the morning
33. a. to take b. to fetch c. bring d. lead
34. a. is going to b. was going to c. is to go d. was to go
35. a. my wife b. my daughter c. i d. we
36. a. arrived b. come c. got d. gone
37. a. in the shop b. at a shop c. for the shop d. near a shop
38. a. fresh b. clean c. nice d. ripe
39. a. swim b. rest c. school d. meeting
40. a. on b. in c. along d. through
41. a. other b. the other c. another d. others
42. a. comes b. came c. to come d. coming
43. a. unless b. until c. when d. so
44. a. some b. it c. that d. one
45. a. in front of b. nearby c. from behind d. beside
46. a. it would happen b. what was happening
c. that had happened d. what was happened
47. a. everything b. nothing c. something d. anything
48. a. more quicker b. even slower 共15页，当前第9页123456789101112131415
c. much quicker d. more and more slower
49. a. above b. over c. below d. under
50. a. the car b. a car c. the road d. a road
people living in different countries made different kinds of words. today there are about fifteen hundred languages in the world. each contains (包括) many thousands of words. but we do not need all these. to read short stories, you need to know only about two thousand words. before you leave school, you will learn only one thousand more.
the words you know are called your vocabulary(词汇). you should try to make your vocabulary bigger. read as many books as you can. there are plenty of books written in easy english for you to read. you will enjoy them. when you meet a new word, find it in your dictionary. your dictionary is your most useful book.
51. the number of different languages spoken is about_______.
a. 150 b. 1500 c. 500 d. 15000
52. before you leave your school, you’ll learn _____.
a. only about two thousand words b. five hundred thousand words
c. three or four thousand words d. only one thousand more
53. each language usually contains ______.
a. two thousand words b. hundreds of words
c. different kinds of words d. many thousands of words
54. to make your vocabulary bigger, you must ______.
a. read as many books as possible b. get as many dictionaries as you can
c. buy plenty of books d. have a very large english dictionary
55. you will enjoy ______.
a. your vocabulary b. the books written in easy english
c. your dictionary d. finding new words in a dictionary共15页，当前第10页123456789101112131415
want to find a job? now read the following advertisements.
five waiters and ten waitresses:
aged under 22.
at least high school graduates.
good-looking men at least 1.72 metres tall and women at least 1.65
those knowing foreign languages favoured.
paid 1600-2200 dollars per month.
aged under 30.
good at writing and skilled at computers.
if interested, call 465-4768 or write to : mr. jack hundris
room 0825m fairemont hotel
567 wood street, san marers, 78003
fax: 6954828 wilson bookstore
aged between 25 and 40.
with an experience of at least two years.
with a degree and an accountant certificate.
paid 3000-4000 dollars monthly.
with a practical knowledge of computer.
aged 25 or less.
basic education of 12 years or more.
good at computer.
paid 1800-2200 dollars monthly.
56. which job of the four jobs will be paid best monthly from the passage?
a. computer salesclerk b. accountant
c. secretary d. not mentioned in the text
57. if you don’t know how to use a computer, you can just apply for the position as ______.
a. a secretary b. a waiter or waitress c. an accountant d.a salesclerk
58. if you want to get the position of accountant in wilson bookstore, you have to satisfy the following conditions except _________.
a. being a woman
b. knowing well how to use a computer
c. having been an accountant
d. having an accountant certificate
59. if you want to try for a job in fairemont hotel, you _________.
a. have to be a woman and know foreign languages
b. should be a university graduate
c. have to be taller than 1.72 meters
d. should be younger than 30 years of age
it is sometimes said that strange flying objects have been seen high up in the sky. people call these strange objects unidentified flying objects(ufos). these ufos caused a lot of interest. some of the reports about them are difficult to believe. some have been explained in scientific ways. others have never been explained. here is an account of ufos from a report.
dennis burdens, who wrote an article, tells us that he once saw a ufo himself. he was having dinner one night with a friend near tripoli, libya, and after dinner the two men walked across a yard to his room to look at some papers. burdens noticed that the moon looked strange that night.共15页，当前第11页123456789101112131415